Tuesday 7 January 2014

USSA Far West North Series U14 SL Races

Having just finished two days of Slalom Racing at Sugar Bowl Resort here in Lake Tahoe I'm pretty happy with my results given the very challenging snow conditions - very slick, hard packed ice!
With the severe lack of snow in the greater Tahoe Region the races were limited in terms of where the ROC could set a SL Course that would hold up throughout the two days of racing and be fair and consistent, to the 170 + racers both boys and girls.
Day One saw the boys run their course first, a large proportion of them crashed hard as they struggled with the very icy course, this made for a very intimidating hour and a half for us girls as we watched the carnage and waited for the boys to complete their run and our race to start...
My first run saw me 8th in the gate out of 86 entrants, I started solidly then bang, went down hard as the tip of my ski clipped a gate, I got up and skied the rest of the course reasonably well but having fallen early I finished well down the field but qualified for a second run!
My second run was much better, 80th out of the gate I skied well putting in the 6th fastest time enabling a semi respectable finish in the middle of the field.
Day Two wasn't much better, conditions were still very slick, I started 77th in my first run of the day, I skied well putting in the 8th fastest time.
I was 9th out of the gate in my second run and although I didn't push 100% as I wanted to be sure of a result and a top 10 finish, I managed to improve my standing and finished 7th overall on Day Two to take home a nice, very heavy Far West Regional Medal :)
So, I'm generally happy with my weekend, I learned a lot, made some new friends and watched my very talented team mate A J Hurt ski two beautiful runs to take home a well deserved win which was really cool and very inspiring!
Thanks Sugar Bowl ROC and all the volunteers that made for a great weekend and my first race in the U.S.