Sunday 17 August 2014

New Zealand Youth Series - Round One / Ohau

What a fantastic, inspirational weekend at Ohau for the first round of the New Zealand Youth Series Races ( GS & SL ), thanks SSNZ and Twizel Ski Club for a great two days of U14 / U16 racing.
It started off well when I bumped into Ted Ligety playing tennis on Friday afternoon at Ohau Lodge, after a chat he signed my Slytech Arm Guards, well his arm guards actually as my Dad scored them off him on a TV Commercial last winter.
Saturday dawned a beautiful, clear and sunny day, I had breakfast at the lodge with the U.S Men's Team and was totally inspired and pumped to watch them train a full GS course set from the top to the bottom of the mountain at Ohau.
The U.S Team finished training and pulled the lower section of their course and left the upper section ( 28 Gates ) in place for us to race the first round of the NZYS GS on - So cool to race on a course set for the U.S Men's Team / thanks Sasha :)
My first run was solid, I was fast on the upper flat section of the course and skied the lower steep set well, finishing my first run in 4th place overall with the fastest 1st Year U16 time, my second run was good too but a couple of small mistakes meant I finished 5th overall with the 2nd fastest 1st Year U16 time, just beaten by 0.52 of a second by my QAST team mate Sophie T, well done Sophie.
Sunday was another sunny, clear day and with my favourite discipline / Slalom ( 38 Gates ) I was pumped to race and do well!
A nice course set on dry snow with a steep start then a flat technical section leading to the final pitch with a rhythmical tight set to the finish.
I was stoked to put down the fast overall U16 women's time ( 35.90 sec ) in the first run, leading Georgia Bushell ( 2nd Year U16 ) by just 0.21 sec.
After a course reset and the addition of a few more gates ( 44 Gates ) my second run was fast too registering a respectable second fastest time ( 37.18 sec ) behind Eden McKay ( 2nd Year U16 / Team Hutt - well done Eden ) but just enough to hold off Team Hutt's Georgia B by 0.37 sec ( Well done Georgia ) for the Gold Medal and 1st Place in Round One of the NZYS SL Races.
With Round Two of the NZYS Races coming up this weekend here at home at Coronet Peak it's going to be exciting, I'll keep you posted....